Saturday 16 May 2015

Tempest 2015

Today was the first board gaming event at Tempest 2015.  Adrian, James, myself, and George all showed up to play as many games as we could in one day.  There were over 50 players at the event whom also were invited to come join us for a game.  We had one family come over, and they had a game of Chicken Cha Cha Cha.  Also Lucas, came over to have a look, and joined us for a few games.  Overall it was a great success, and everyone left with a very good feeling.  I love how board games are for everyone.  We had men, women, and children playing.  Ages ranged from 4 to 43.

First, we started with Castle Panic.  This was Adrian and James first time playing.  It was an excellent game that went down to the wire.  Adrian pulled draw four monster.  One of the four monsters he drew was the Goblin King, which means draw another three monsters (all this when the Orc Warlord was drawn the turn before).  This resulted in use losing all but one tower, when we finally killed all the monsters.  At this point we had about 8 monsters tokens left.  The barbarian had not yet come out, and about 20 cards were left in the deck.  James had the scavenge card, but we decided not to trade or use it until the barbarian card came out, so we can use the barbarian twice.  This turned out to be a good idea because the last lot of monster tokens revealed 2 trolls, 1 orc, and a goblin.  As the monsters moved the barbarian still was not coming out.  With 2 trolls in the swordsman ring, it was my turn.  I drew up to 5 cards, still no barbarian, but I got draw 2 cards.  I discarded one card and drew a new card, no barbarian.  Then I played my draw two cards and got the barbarian on the 2nd card drawn.  So I played the barbarian, killing a troll, played scavenge, scavenged the barbarian and killed the last troll.  It was an excellent first game that came down to winning with one tower at the very last minute possible.

This family enjoyed a game of Chicken Cha Cha
Next we played Love Letter.  This is a great, quick card game.  You are drawing to win the hand in marriage of the princess.  Whoever can get their love letter closest to the princess wins a token of affection from her. In the end we all had four tokens, and it came down to the last game with Adrian winning.

After Love Letter we played three games of King of Tokyo.  Our youngest players, George and James ended up winning all the games.  The younger players really enjoy this game, especially collecting the cards.  This is a great game where you are a Godzilla type monster destroying Tokyo city.  Very easy rules and fast gameplay. George won the last game easily by having a baby, then getting a shrink ray.  He went in Tokyo city, and knocked everyone out in three turns.
Lucas had a game of That's my fish with Adrian, and then also got a game of King of Tokyo in.  Next I showed everyone Catan Junior.  This was everyone's first time playing.  This is a very easy pirate game, which I review in my last blog.  Everyone enjoyed this game, and Adrian ended up being the first pirate to build all 7 liars.  Again the younger players, loved collecting the parrots.
With time running out, we finished with a game of Small World.  I played the two younger players James and George.  It was a very close game.  George scored 89, James 95, and I won with 100 points.  I was very impressed how close the game was.  George and James are quick learners, and really did well, and I was happy to get my first win on the last game of the day.  James and George walked away with the prizes for getting the most wins, and being great sports.  Overall great success.  I plan on offering more tables for the next big tournament, Conquest. Hopefully Tim will be willingly to offer this as a exhibition, and provided some prize support.
Board gaming is a great way to enjoy some quality family time, and meet new people.  Look forward to the next tournament and report.



2 comments:

  1. Great to see such a variety of people there yesterday. I was on the 40K tables and saw King Of Tokyo. I've always wanted to try that. Reminds me of "Rampage" an old arcade game from the 80s. Recently, I have got into Zombicide. Very fun board game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rampage made a board game. It is a really fun board game (which I own). I would be happy to give you a game sometime.

      Delete